Thursday, March 20, 2008

Your tax dollars at work

Guess what? Young men are often confused by the signals women give. Shocking, I know.
More often than not, guys interpret even friendly cues, such as a subtle smile from a gal, as a sexual come-on, and a new study discovers why: Guys are clueless.

More precisely, they are somewhat oblivious to the emotional subtleties of non-verbal cues, according to a new study of college students.

"Young men just find it difficult to tell the difference between women who are being friendly and women who are interested in something more," said lead researcher Coreen Farris of Indiana University's Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.

This "lost in translation" phenomenon plays out in the real world, with about 70 percent of college women reporting an experience in which a guy mistook her friendliness for a sexual come-on, Farris said.

Had I known much of the time I spent in High School and College pursuing women that weren't interested was actually elgible for a federal subsidy, I would have had a much better time while consistently striking out. My .001 batting average could've afforded me a much better apartment, television and maybe even a car. Of course, that might've improved my batting average somewhat.