Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Twelve days to Halloween

Never let it be said the Wigdersons are not festive people. We have added a few decorations to our display, including a plastic molded 3ft ghost, a hanging spider, a strobe light skull, and a few pumpkins.

I was driving back from the grocery store when I turned left onto our block. A strange light overtook my vehicle, effectively blinding me, almost causing me to lose control. I looked through the glare and saw.... the timer for my Halloween lights had turned on.

Since we did not have a standard 25 watt or even 40 watt bulb for the ghost, my wife grabbed one of the special 75 watt bulbs for reading lamps and stuck it in there. Our white lawn ghost now effectively illuminates the neighborhood. Lost visitors to Waukesha will be stopping in front of my house to read their road maps. Owls and bats in our neighborhood will sleep through the night. Native Alaskans will mistake my front lawn for home. The Waukesha YMCA will complain about the bright light. I expect a phone call from Crites Field any moment now complaining we are diverting aircraft towards our street.

If you come trick or treatin' in my neighborhood, I'll be the one passing out the candy wearing sunglasses.