Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Marquette unlikely to change nickname

I'll put my neck out on the line and predict Marquette University will not change it's nickname back to "Warriors". The current name "Golden Eagles" may not be popular with students and alumni, but it's probably to much to expect the trustees to fight their faculty and administration on this issue. Add the possibility University President Father Wild may resign if he loses this vote (issue raised on Mark Belling's program yesterday) and I just don't see the trustees making a change. And I really doubt they would be holding the meeting today to make the decision if Fr. Wild didn't think he had enough votes to win.

GOP3: the triumvirate has an interesting analysis based on the giving tendencies of the trustees.

I hope I'm wrong, as I think the name Warriors is a part of Milwaukee's history in the way the 1982 Brewer logo is.

Once this controversy ends, maybe they can tackle something really controversial, like scheduling a game against UW-Milwaukee.

Update! 12:37AM I'm still laughing. My sides ache from laughing so hard. I give "The Marquette Gold" two years, tops. It may take as little as two weeks.