Sunday, March 29, 2009

Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

Blogger Owen Robinson decided to risk his innocent ears to attend the meeting about the controversial "Young Adult" books at the West Bend Library.
I admit that I’ve been a bit tepid on this issue, but I’m off the fence now. Basically, there are a bunch of books in the 11-17 year-old section that have explicit passages about sexual acts. Until the meeting, I was uninformed as to how explicit they were. But frankly (if you are under 18, please click away now) I was a bit shocked to hear passages from these teen books referring to “sucking dick,” “anal sex,” and “how to give a great hand job.” Don’t get me wrong… I’m not a prude and I am not personally offended by these subjects, but I certainly don’t think they are appropriate for a 14-year-old to be reading about on their own.

Owen reminds his readers that the request is not to ban the books, only to move them to the adult section.