Thursday, June 18, 2009

Closed for the summer

Today is this blog’s fifth anniversary. Five years ago I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I decided to launch this experiment. I had no idea what I was doing when I started. I had no idea where this blog would take me.

Five years is a long time for a blog. Most blogs end after a matter of days. One ex-Waukesha blogger told me, “Blogging sucks.” Well, it depends.

If you are getting into blogging because you want to change the world, yes, it sucks. Blogging is pretty limited and requires a great deal of time and energy.

If you are getting into blogging because you love to write, that’s a different story. Blogging allows you to write what you want to write when you want to write. I still love blogging, and I have no complaints. Okay, a few, but not many.

I have never run out of things to write about. I’m lucky that way. I have avoided the burnout which is so common to bloggers. If I wasn't re-writing this post, I would be writing on any of a hundred different other topics.

I’m lucky to have built up an audience. Some blogs never gain that traction. Other blogs get huge audiences but don’t have anything meaningful to say. I have a modest audience, but I hope that I have kept you entertained and informed for these five years.

I have certainly enjoyed hearing from my readers. Not just the comments but the e-mails, phone calls and letters.

But all good things must come to an end. I’m taking some time off from blog writing to pursue other challenges. I’m also going to take some time to build a new website which will launch in September.

That means, sadly, the Wigderson Library & Pub is closing.

This weekend will be the first weekend in a long time I won’t be thinking about what I want to write next week in the blog. I’ll be camping with my son, far away from a computer. I’ll be reading the news with the rest of you instead of chasing it.

It will be weird.

I am still going to write my column for the Waukesha Freeman. I have not planned on taking any time away from that. For those of you that don't subscribe to the Waukesha Freeman, I still be posting my column here.

I will also continue on Twitter and Facebook, so please do feel free to follow me there. If and when other things pop up I promise to announce them here, as well.

I can't wait for my new website in September. I hope you can't wait either.

Thank you again for all of your support and encouragement. We will be together again soon. I promise.