Saturday, October 21, 2006

Notes on Sweetest Day

"What we call love is that extreme emotion which leads from affection to passion and from affection to passion and from passion to dependence; it throws the individual into a state of intoxication capable, at times, of diminishing his or her soundness of mind. It is a happiness that gives rise to suffering and a suffering which brings happiness."
Marcel Reich-Ranicki, German Literature Critic


Harry Burns: I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
"When Harry Met Sally"


C. K. Dexter Haven: I thought all writers drank to excess and beat their wives. You know one time I secretly wanted to be a writer.
"The Philadelphia Story"


Ten days after we first met, Doreen and I spent a day at the mall killing time waiting for a fax from my lawyer. It was 1997, and I was fighting the state elections board at the time. On a whim we stopped by a jewelry store and looked at a ring. The salesman literally asked, "What would it take for you to take this ring home today?" We laughed and chased out of the mall to pick up a fax from Kinkos. The next thing we know we were at another jewelry store picking out a diamond. We have never looked back.