Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jury tampering? the update

"I'm an elections lawyer retained in connection with a matter before the Elections Board"
- Michael S. Maistelman

I have a special practice. I handle one client. Now you have my number. I'll wait for your call. By the way, I admire your pictures very much. - Tom Hagen The Godfather
Patrick at Badger Blogger has a complete round-up of Governor Doyle's attempted manipulation of the state elections board. Lots of worthwhile reading.

Meanwhile, the Capital Times is reporting State Senator Mike Ellis will ask the district attorneys in Waukesha and Dane counties to investigate, and will also ask the state ethics board to investigate.

Brian Fraley is predicting not only Doyle's downfall, but the end of the state elections board. One can only hope. (I expect a recap is in the works of the Van Hollen ethics plan.)

I strongly recommend reading Rick Esenberg's blog post on the scandal.
If that were the case - if the SEB was acting as an impartial tribunal - it would not be permissible to ex parte its members. If I call a judge (in the absence of the other side) and ask for a little love on a pending motion, I will soon become intimately acquainted with the Office of Lawyer Regulation.

Nor could I ask a judge to find in my favor because it will be a PR victory for my side and force my opponents to spend money. A lawyer may not take a position to harass or delay.

Oh yeah, before I forget. Elections Board attorney George Dunst claims what the Doyle people did was perfectly legal. That's the kiss of death. Dunst's opinions are not binding on anyone, and is easily ignored. The last opinion out of Dunst's office? Green was within his rights to transfer the money from his federal campaign fund to his state campaign fund.