Saturday, July 22, 2006

Not a bad day on the shameless self-promotion tour

No jobs! Freelance! Best thing in the world for a kid your age. You bring me some more pictures of that newspaper-selling clown, maybe I'll take 'em off your hands. But I never said you have a job. *Meat*. I'll send you a nice box of Christmas meat. It's the best I can do - get out of here.
-
J. Jonah Jameson

Spent much of the afternoon at the Waukesha Freeman booth at the Waukesha County Fair. I had a great time meeting people from the newspaper and actually meeting a fan. No, really.

Editor Bill Yorth was there and, of course, the ever lovely Jessica McBride was there. For those of you who didn't stop by, you don't know what you missed, but then that's why you read my blog.

The Freeman had a very popular pottery demonstration that distracted most of the crowd so we decided to cancel the nude caricature. One artistic demonstration was enough.

Instead during the breaks in the action we had a craps game going behind the tent. Amazing what Jessica learned during those years covering the inner city of Milwaukee. She walked away from the afternoon with enough money to buy the mortgage on JB Van Hollen's house.

I won two subscription renewals and the use of a paperboy for one day to cut my grass.

For the last hour we played a drinking game. If the person coming up to the booth asked for Jessica, we drank. If they asked her, "Where's Paul?" we drank the whole beer. If they said they were an illegal alien, we did a shot of tequila. The computer guy that does Jessica's blog roll got totally tanked.