Sunday, November 27, 2005

My response to Kent Woods

I won't "fisk" it line-by-line, as I think I can respond in a much shorter fashion.

Woods talks about the time he spent working as a lobbyist for the Wisconsin Towns Association (WTA) in Madison. "For the last several years I have worked with passion and conviction on behalf of town government and if elected as a State Representative I will carry that same energy, passion and conviction to Madison." Which conviction will he carry, the conviction that state government doesn't spend enough to help the towns? That the Taxpayers Bill of Rights (TABOR) should be defeated?

Or will he bring his newly found conviction in favor of TABOR? What "Road to Damascus" experience has led Woods to his current beliefs, Woods doesn't say. So we're left with the miracle conversion without the miracle, and no regrets or apologies for his past lobbying behavior.

Some of my opponents and their supporters have even questioned my party loyalty—despite the fact that for the past 15 years my wife, Evie, and I have lived in the same house in Delafield, raised our kids and have been quite active in the Republican Party of Waukesha County, working on behalf of conservative Republicans across the ballot. I will respond with the truth, not with counter accusations. I am and foremost a Ronald Regan Republican, I support his 11th commandment… and for what it’s worth, believe steadfastly in God’s “original” ten that precede it. So I will not engage in name calling. As I said, I appreciate everyone’s right to analyze and criticize; however during this race I, personally, will not call some one a RINO if they are not as conservative as I am. I don’t feel it’s my particular place. For example, I am 100 percent Pro-life. But someone who may not be is not automatically un-Republican.
I don't question Woods' loyalty to the party; I question his loyalty to conservative principles. His opposition to them in Madison (whether it was because he was paid or because of sincerely held beliefs) has to be questioned in a Republican primary.

While Woods invokes "Ronald Regan" 's admonition against criticizing fellow Republicans, I would remind Woods that it was Reagan who took on the Republican establishment when he challenged a sitting Republican president. What's more, I tend to the Buckley example who rid the US Senate of Lowell Weicker.

I'd like to point out that there is little stated difference between Woods and his opponents. All of them are pro-life. All of them claim to be against higher taxes.

But some of them have an actual track record of supporting conservativism. Troy Fullerton is an active member of the Waukesha Taxpayer's League, and has their endorsement. David Marlow took on Republican State Senator Huelsman in the primary twice in 1994 and 1998.

Woods, on the other hand, has a record that actually contradicts his current positions. And that affects his credibility far more than his inability to spell the 40th President's last name.

Update! Owen at Boots and Sabers agrees with me.
Either you are not telling the truth about really supporting TABOR, etc., or you surrendered your principles for money, which doesn’t bode well for how you would react in office with the pressure from special interest groups. Given that there are at least two - maybe three - other Republicans in the race with solid conservative track records, I don’t see why conservatives should take a chance on you.