Wednesday, June 22, 2005

100 Movie Quotes from AFI

The American Film Institute has released it's Top 100 Movie Lines of all time. Six quotes from Casablanca, which is how it should be. And it would be hard to dispute the top six choices:
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. GONE WITH THE WIND
I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. THE GODFATHER
You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am. ON THE WATERFRONT
Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. THE WIZARD OF OZ
Here's looking at you, kid. CASABLANCA
Go ahead, make my day. SUDDEN IMPACT
However, there are no quotes from Young Frankenstein. There are no quotes from Blazing Saddles. And there are no quotes by John Cusack. Who can forget this classic line from Say Anything?
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
To top it all off, there's only one quote from Caddyshack. Missing from the list:
So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
...and of course: "IT'S IN THE HOLE!" Well, at least that one made it.