Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Today's candy bar

I deviated from the norm today. I chose a Nestle 100 Grand Bar over my usual choice, the Snickers bar. Pulling it out of the machine I noticed on the label, “STILL 30% LESS FAT than the leading chocolate bar.”

I gotta ask, is that what most people are looking for when they shop at the nearby vending machine, a candy bar with less fat? “I’m gaining weight. Maybe I should cut back on the Three Musketeers and go for something both chewy and crunchy, with 1/3 less fat!” I mean, I’m sure Jenny Craig doesn’t endorse the 100 Grand Bar, does she?

What do they mean by “STILL”? Does that mean they’re going to up the fat content of their candy bar? I can just picture the marketing director at Nestle now. “Americans aren’t fat enough yet. Better up the fat content on the 100 Grand Bar. Make sure the consumers know the content is going up. That’ll increase the month-end sales.” Do they really think we’re afraid they’re going to increase the fat content? “I better buy half a dozen of these before they put more fat in them.”

Or do they mean their competitors are going to start putting less fat in their candy bars? “Better cut back on the nougat and caramel. 100 Grand Bars have 30% less fat.”
“What about the taste?”
“DAMN THE TASTE, MAN! This is marketing!”