Friday, October 24, 2008

Egelhoff statement on attack ads by Greater Wisconsin Committee

Jo Egelhoff, candidate for the state assembly, issued a statement today in response to a negative attack campaign by the Greater Wisconsin Committee. Coincidentally (of course) it echoes the themes of the Bice column in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that I debunked earlier today.
HEADLINE: Egelhoff Statement on Greater Wisconsin Committee's Negative Campaign

Appleton - A couple of years ago, I started my own small business, FoxPolitics.net, to encourage debate and discussion on issues of importance to the people of Appleton. The views expressed by me, my readers and guest columnists were designed to be both provocative and thought-provoking.

Little did I know at the time, that my commentary would be the subject of a $100,000 + smear campaign waged by a third-party Madison-based political action organization with ties to a former State Senator and convicted felon, Chuck Chvala. The lengths to which the Madison special interests will go to put their own candidate, Penny Bernard Schaber, in the State Assembly are truly astounding.

Since June, I have been campaigning door-to-door meeting with Appleton voters. To date, I have knocked on more than 12,000 doors in Appleton. With the generous support of many Fox Valley residents, I have been able to share my views on issues important to the people of Appleton in literature distributed by mail and advertising over the radio. I also maintain a website, www.votejo2008.com, that is updated regularly and details my positions - positions you can count on me to take if I am elected to the State Assembly.

In the closing days of the campaign, I am asking the people of Appleton to look beyond the negative campaigning and look at the issues and their impacton their job, their pocketbook and their family's future. You have my commitment that I will put Appleton first, putting the needs of Appleton ahead of the wants of the politicians and special interests in Madison.

I rarely endorse candidates anymore, but I can truthfully say that the people of Appleton would have a very difficult search to find someone to represent them in Madison better than Jo Egelhoff.