Sunday, November 27, 2005

Kent Woods defends himself

I've been reluctant to post this, as it was sent to everyone and anyone, but I want to be fair (well, as fair as I ever am). You heard a version of this on WISN Mark Belling's radio program last Wednesday (November 23rd). I'll respond accordingly.

Dear James,

I appreciate your right to analyze and criticize public officials and those who seek to become public officials. The ability of the blogosphere to shed light on things the MSM ignore is an asset for voters of all stripes. I even appreciate and applaud your skepticism. As one who’s been in Madison for a few years, I understand the origin of those feelings.

I am sending this email to several bloggers and pundits whom I know take a particular interest in conservative politics.

Things are off to a good start on the campaign, but as is to be expected in this mad-dash of a special election, there have been some times where I wish I could have explained myself in greater detail. I’m taking some time off the trail to give you some background on me and my position on the issues, particularly the important issues of TABOR and the TAX FREEZE.

After a twenty year span as a product designer in engineering, and two consecutive terms as Chairman of the Town of Delafield (1993-97), I switched careers and became an advocate for town governments. For the last several years I have worked with passion and conviction on behalf of town government and if elected as a State Representative I will carry that same energy, passion and conviction to Madison.

I have had the honor of representing the Wisconsin Towns Association (WTA) in Madison. During that time the Towns Association has always conducted itself with dignity and integrity. The tax bite from town governments pales in comparison to that of schools, for example; and our members are not career politicians--they are local townsfolk who take an active role in their community. The WTA has worked hard to preserve town government, which is the closest form of government to the people in Wisconsin. Town government is direct democracy at its best; and as a direct democracy form of government, taxpayers, not the town board, set the levee for their municipality at the special town budget meeting every fall.

I am very proud of work on the behalf of WTA to support legislation that will add jobs to the rural areas of the state. For example; WTA has also been an advocate for and supported legislation that would expand economic development opportunities in the rural areas of the state. Ninety-five percent of the land area in this state is under town jurisdiction and needs to be included as we move Wisconsin’s economy forward. WTA supported changes in the 2003-05 budget that would have changed the shared revenue funding formula which would have brought over one million dollars back to Waukesha County. Unfortunately, this did not survive Governor Doyle’s veto pen. WTA also worked hard to bring transportation dollars to local roads in this year’s budget to take some of that pressure off local property taxes. And, at the direction of our state board, they have opposed items which would hurt the town form of government.

In 2004 and 2005 WTA opposed a version of TABOR. The original version was over 1700 pages in length and never even had a hearing in the legislature because it needed additional work. The WTA worked with Rep. Lasee and other legislators to make changes that will preserve the powers of the town meeting. I support a strong TABOR that limits spending and I hope that when the Senate releases their version of the bill it will be something that will work for the state of Wisconsin. I further hope it will not have a HUGE bonding loophole.

I also testified at hearings on behalf of WTA regarding concerns over the property tax freeze proposal. The WTA made recommendations that would improve the freeze for its members and still protect the property taxpayers of this state. Some of those changes were picked up and included in the budget bill, but the concept of a workable real freeze still has a way to go. And we MUST work together to see that it happens.

I am proud of my campaign’s leadership on the conservative issues that matter to voters in our area. I was first to propose instituting a four year property tax freeze (based on three year levy average to avoid freezing at a one time spike). I support a strong Taxpayers’ Bill of Rights that controls taxes and spending, including bonding. I proposed speeding up the Social Security Income Tax Exemption to 2007. I believe we should provide a state tax deduction for the purchase of high deductible plans purchased along with Health Savings Accounts. And I favor passing a state-mandate relief act, which would after a two year review period, have the state fund programs which it mandates local governments provide, or would lift the mandate.

If the state simply passes the buck to local governments, local property taxpayers will still get gouged. It doesn’t matter if government takes the cash from your right pocket or your left pocket; you’re still out too much money. So, we need to put an end to unfunded mandates as well as stopping excessive taxation, spending, and bonding.

I also support State Representative Scott Jensen’s efforts to repeal the antiquated minimum markup law and I back the plan to repeal the automatic gas tax inflationary indexing hike introduced by State Senator Tom Reynolds.

I realize my past work and activities are fair game, and I’ve made no attempt to hide from the fact I’ve been for and against various proposals. I also know first hand that the devil is in the details. I’ve advocated for and against particular “Tax Cut” proposals, because we need more than bullet points that sound good, we need a workable short and long term fix, and I believe if there is a strong push and we work together to make tax and spending cuts a priority, we can make it happen.

While some have questioned my sincerity on the tax issue because of my past work with the Towns Association, I’ve never hid from my efforts, and I don’t believe they conflict with my platform. In 1993 when preparing my first budget for the town I asked the accountant two simple questions, what was the growth in the town related to new construction and what was the rate of inflation. The Town Board passed a balanced budget that models the criteria for TABOR before TABOR became “cool.”

Some of my opponents and their supporters have even questioned my party loyalty—despite the fact that for the past 15 years my wife, Evie, and I have lived in the same house in Delafield, raised our kids and have been quite active in the Republican Party of Waukesha County, working on behalf of conservative Republicans across the ballot. I will respond with the truth, not with counter accusations. I am and foremost a Ronald Regan Republican, I support his 11th commandment… and for what it’s worth, believe steadfastly in God’s “original” ten that precede it. So I will not engage in name calling. As I said, I appreciate everyone’s right to analyze and criticize; however during this race I, personally, will not call some one a RINO if they are not as conservative as I am. I don’t feel it’s my particular place. For example, I am 100 percent Pro-life. But someone who may not be is not automatically un-Republican.

I am running as the conservative Republican that I am and I will not take a stance that I do not support with my heart and soul. But I realize that even if I govern as a conservative, I will represent all the people in my district, and I will treat the moderates, independents and Democrats with respect as well. I’ve always believed we can disagree, even vehemently, without being disagreeable. I believe personal values are as important a trait in any candidate because it tells a lot about the kind of person they are and the type of leader they will be. So I will attempt to lead by example. I’m not hiding from my past, yet I am aggressively providing a vision for the future. Whether or not you agree with my positions…even if you may doubt my sincerity…I would imagine you can respect our campaign’s decision to drive forward with an issue-based conservative Republican campaign.

Thanks for the opportunity to share my thoughts with you. Post if you’d like. I am sure many who receive this intend to ‘fisk’ at will. I welcome all accurate and thorough examinations of all candidates’ records and platforms. I’ve worked in the Capitol. I know how that place operates and know that an informed electorate makes wise choices. So, thanks again for your attention to the race.

In the coming weeks you can find our more about our campaign at www.votewoods.com.

--Kent