Saturday, May 30, 2009

Q & A with Cindy Kilkenny regarding getting sued

Blogger Cindy Kilkenny declined to be interviewed regarding a lawsuit filed by Joseph C. Niebler Sr., President of NFI Properties LLC. (See correspondence at bottom.) However, she took the time to answer my questions on her blog, even if she didn't mention that I asked them. Apparently I'm a typical conservative filled with schadenfreude and she will not link to me to avoid promoting "potential" innaccuracies. Below are my questions and her answers:

JW: According to the Freeman article, you still haven't seen the complaint. Have you had a chance to read it?

CK: Have I seen the complaint? No, as of 1:45 p.m. Central time on May 29, 2009, I have not received service. I have had two calls from two reporters. They have both written stories. It appears from their stories they have read the complaint.


JW: Have you hired an attorney?

CK: Have I hired an attorney? No, I have not. While I take this issue very seriously, I haven’t read the complaint and so I’m not sure exactly what type of attorney I will need to hire. Someone with print media experience? Someone with defamation experience? Someone with SLAPP experience? These are big unknowns, and so I must be patient. (I heard some of you laugh just now. No, it’s not one of my more redeeming qualities, but I am trying.)


JW: Have you contacted any organizations that help defend blogs from lawsuits?

CK: Have I contacted any organizations that help defend blogs from lawsuits? No. I have done some internet research on these organizations, but do not feel they would be of particular use.


JW: Also, do you know if Journal Communications was named in the lawsuit?

CK: Was anyone else named in the lawsuit? Not that I can tell. While the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article indicated the complaint talked about BrookfieldNOW.com and my term as an alderman, that’s not been confirmed. The WCCA information lists only me as the defendant.



Correspondence with Ms. Kilkenny (E-mail address and my signature info removed):
On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:22 AM, James Wigderson wrote:

Hi Cindy,

Since I have a moment this morning, I wanted to ask a few questions about the law suit.

According to the Freeman article, you still haven't seen the complaint. Have you had a chance to read it? Have you hired an attorney? Have you contacted any organizations that help defend blogs from lawsuits?

Also, do you know if Journal Communications was named in the lawsuit?

Despite what you think, I do have a sincere interest in these issues.

Sincerely,

James Wigderson


From: Cindy Kilkenny
To: James Wigderson
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 11:42:22 AM
Subject: Re: have you been served yet?

James,

I'll be glad to answer your questions if they are a private conversation. I'm not inclined to have you cover this case using my information as an interview.

Should you agree, let me know, and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Cindy


From: James Wigderson
To: cindy.kilkenny
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2009 12:40:58 PM
Subject: Re: have you been served yet?


No.

James Wigderson