Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The sun is shining on the muck and mire

And I'm home sick. Runny nose, upset stomach, fatigue - I'll spare you the gory details.

But I got a look outside at the big melt-off. I have mixed-feelings about mid-winter warm weather. With each layer of snow melting away, the more that appears needing attention when spring arrives.

I did spend some time on Sunday cleaning the backyard. I looked at it today and realized another layer melted away leaving more to be cleaned up. What's left of the backyard is mud and debris. Left over from last fall are the remnants of a small construction project. And there are fallen branches are here and there, frozen to the ground.

All of this needs to be cleaned up and dried out before the children can play outside again.

Unfortunately, some of the ice and snow remains making the clean up difficult (even if I was well enough). We're heading towards early spring, my least favorite time of the year. The cities are dirty with the trash of winter. Mud is everywhere. Everything is wet and miserable.

But winter is not over yet. A little snow and all will be hidden.