And I think, too, that I can say that in my years of public life, that I welcome this kind of examination because people have got to know whether or not their President's a crook. - Richard Nixon
But as this is an ongoing investigation involving the governor, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to comment on the issue at this time. - Barack Obama
To be fair:
Later in the conversation, ROD BLAGOJEVICH said he knows that the President-elect wants Senate Candidate 1 for the Senate seat but “they’re not willing to give me anything except appreciation. Fuck them.” - Criminal Complaint
President-elect Barack Obama owes the public more than a short statement. The incoming administration owes the public a complete accounting of their contacts with Blagojevich regarding the open US Senate seat in Illinois. Specifically:
1. Why did David Axelrod tell Fox News Obama "...has talked with the governor and there are on on whole range of names many of which have surfaced, and I think he has a fondness for a lot of them"? That's a pretty specific statement to have mispoken.
2. What was done on behalf of Valerie Jarrett, and what caused her candidacy for the senate seat to be withdrawn?
3. Who was the conduit between Blagojevich and Obama discussing the Senate vacancy? What was suggested to the Obama camp? How did Blagojevich hear about what the Obama camp was willing to offer?
4. Was "appreciation" really nothing, or just an inadequate offer?
5. Does Obama or any of his staff expect to be called as witnesses?
6. Where did Blagojevich get the idea that billionaires Warren Buffet and Bill Gates might be willing to set up a charitable foundation for Blagojevich to slide into when he was no longer governor?
7. Why did Blagojevich believe Obama might help Blagojevich's wife find placement on corporate boards?
8. Who at the SEIU contacted Obama on behalf of Blagojevich, and what was the Obama camp's response?
9. At any time did Blagojevich receive any communication from the Obama transition team or the campaign regarding the federal investigation?
10. Will Fitzgerald be allowed to continue as a federal prosecutor under the Obama Administration?
11. Will Obama support an impeachment of Blagojevich?
12. What was the role of Obama aide and former Blagojevich legislative director Michael Strautmanis?