Monday, May 05, 2008

Cup of Jo

While Jo Egelhoff is off campaigning for the state assembly, Fred Dooley, Lance Burri and I are pinch-hitting. It's the least we can do. Really, the absolute least. Fred Dooley has his first installment today, "Big Coffee".
Well, there is one thing you can say about oil, lots of people have made lots of money from it. Those guys working the platforms drilling for and pumping the crude, the people transporting that oil all over the world, the refiners, distributors, marketers and retailers. Lots of money and lots of profits to be had for something that at an all time high is costing us around $3.69 a gallon.

$3.69 a gallon… Rank amateurs.

I like to play a game on my blog called Guess the Number. I throw up a raw number and invite my readers to guess what that number represents. Let me throw a number to you, $17.60.

I won’t keep you in suspense, Starbucks charges about $1.65 for a 12-ounce cup of coffee, that is $17.60 a gallon. And that’s for the plain old drip coffee not any half-caf-non-frappa-ccino whatever.

The reader comments already have a reference to the "Big Oil" conspiracy. Oliver Stone on international trade.