Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Some things are best left to professionals

I sometimes get frustrated when I read things that are written about political campaigns by people who have never planned one. Political campaigns aren't rocket science but they're not as simple as ordering at a McDonald's Drive-thru either. (I'm really trying to work on my analogies.) Anyone can learn the ins-and-outs of political campaigning. All it takes is a willingness to be underpaid, put in 70-80 hours/week, and listen to insane people tell you insane things. Like they need more yard signs, buttons and campaign logo pot holders.

I had to laugh when I was hearing, sometimes on supposedly serious "news" programs, that Hillary Clinton needed to win by 15-20 points for Pennsylvania to "count." Look, if that ever happens in a major contested election, and it isn't someone wiping the floor with Ed Garvey, give me a call. I wanna see it.

No matter how it's spun, Pennsylvania wasn't good for Obama. He outspent his opponent by 3 to 1, had the most popular public official in the state (Bob Casey) campaign for him him and guarantee him the Catholic vote (oops), and he got clobbered. He got clobbered in core Democratic constituencies. He got clobbered by the "Reagan Democrats." He got clobbered in a state key to the Democrats' chances in November.

Danger, danger, Will Robinson!

So I was really laughing when I saw Brian Fraley's response to an attempt by Jay "folkbum" Bullock to spin Pennsylvania for his candidate.
Jay, I realize that while I’ve only been doing this for 16 years, you teach in MPS and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but let me try to explain.

Of course, it helps to remember when reading anything Bullock writes to take it with a grain of salt.