Friday, November 16, 2007

Ten years after

Decade. Sounds longer than it is. Ten years ago this evening I was meeting someone face-to-face for the first time. I was stood up by a friend and her future husband who were supposed to be there in case the evening turned out to be a real drag. Instead it turned out to be one of the most important evenings of my life.

By the way, the Milwaukee Ballet still owes us an explanation about Tybalt and his aunt.

Ten years, ten days. If my son or daughter comes and tells me a similar story, I'll kill them. Actually I won't have to because their mother will.

Ten days after we met we were laughing in a jewelry store as a salesman asked me about an engagement ring, "What would it take for you to buy this ring today?" A little while later we were in another jewelry store buying a ring for real.

Did she know what she was getting into? We were waiting for a fax from my lawyers. So I guess the answer was "maybe." Check back in another ten years and we'll see if I made it through the probationary period.

I may be unsentimental about most things, but I'll never forget the first time we attended Mass together. A couple was there celebrating sixty years together. Sounds good to me.

Find classic movies at Amazon.com