Sunday, August 26, 2007

Space aliens kidnap the Weekly World News


From ABC News:
The third member of the publication team was musician-turned-writer Bob Lind.

"I wrote, made up stories and had a wonderful time," he said with a wry smile. "There were days when I'd leave that newsroom and my face hurt and my stomach would hurt because I was around funny people."

The paper was brought to you by the same company that publishes the all-knowing National Enquirer.

It wasn't printed in color, but it never lacked it. And at its peak in the 1990s it had a large and loyal readership, selling more than 1 million copies a week.

"When we thought about our audience," said Ivone, "it was a woman. … She's doing her laundry in the laundromat. She's got a little bit of time to kill. She has 50 cents in her pocket. She just bought her kids a snack and she's bought herself a treat. And she wants a few laughs and she wants to be delighted. She wants to be transported."
There goes my entertainment in the check-out lines at the supermarket.

Find classic movies at Amazon.com