Friday, August 17, 2007

The Freeman says goodbye to former Governor Dreyfus


I think it would be wrong of me not to note former Governor Dreyfus’ retirement as a columnist for the Waukesha Freeman. When Justin Kern called me Wednesday night for a few comments about Dreyfus, I playfully noted that, from a purely selfish point of view, it was nice to be on the same page as Dreyfus because it meant that more people would read my column.

I wasn’t trying to be flippant (for once). When I first started writing for the Waukesha Freeman, the editor Bill Yorth told me he would like to me put me on the same opinion page as Dreyfus, and that Thursday was the most-read paper of the week. I was grateful just to be given a chance at a column (still am), so who was I to disagree?

Being on the same page with Dreyfus was often only on the printed or pixilated page. While he and I may be in theory in the same party, I think it’s safe to say we were on opposite sides on many issues. Most recently Dreyfus bucked his party and supported Linda Clifford for the state supreme court. (My opinion of Clifford is here.)

One of the exceptions was the issue of the death penalty, and I was glad the governor was as opposed to it as I am.

Having Dreyfus on the opinion page of the Waukesha Freeman certainly gave the page more intellectual heft. I’m glad I could be a part of it. Now I’m really curious who they’re going to run opposite of me.

(The last Dreyfus column is here, in case you missed it. The accompanying article was here.)

Find classic movies at Amazon.com