Sunday, August 19, 2007

The cult of Fred?

While there will not be an official endorsement by the Wigderson Library & Pub, I must admit I have been excited about "a" Fred Thompson campaign. That being said, this comment by Jonah Goldberg is another reminder that not everyone has to join the cult:
But, if I may be blunt, I think some people think there's hostility wherever there isn't unbridled enthusiasm (though that's not the case from the longtime reader quoted above). I get really angry email whenever I hold out the possibility that Fred Thompson isn't the Republicans' man on a white horse coming to save the day. The best argument for Thompson to my mind, so far, is that he might — might! — be the best candidate to win in November. Virtually all of the other arguments for his candidacy strike me as not overpowering. There's a certain drink-the-Kool-Aid bullying that comes from some of Thompson's biggest supporters. That he arouses such enthusiasm is a sign of his strengths and therefore an argument in his favor. But as for the actual arguments in his favor, I'm less than convinced so far.
As we get closer to the Iowa Caucus, let's all try to remember that criticism of one candidate does not mean an endorsement of any of the alternatives, nor does it mean that I have been bought and paid for unless I expressly tell you otherwise. The same holds true for other bloggers and columnists, too.

Speaking of the cult of Fred, Fred Dooley, filling in for Steve Eggleston at No Runny Eggs, is a little miffed that the Washington Post is not enamored with the name of Fred.
Fred is a fine name, worthy of Presidential stature. Ever heard of Frederick the Great? How about the brilliant Fred Astaire? Fred Savage, come on now, The Wonder Years.

Need I say Frederick Mellinger, inventer of the pushup bra and founder of Fredericks of Hollywood?

What of sausage genius Fred Usinger, or beer pioneer Frederick Pabst?

Need I remind you of Fred Jones? Come on he drove The Mystery Machine for cryin’ out loud.
Fred goes on to list a number of other famous Freds, but unfortunately forgets a few from the movies. Given that Fred Thompson is an actor himself, I'd thought I'd mention a couple. Here's one of my favorites:
Igor: Dr. Frankenstein…
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: “Fronkensteen.”
Igor: You’re putting me on.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it’s pronounced “Fronkensteen.”
Igor: Do you also say “Froaderick”?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No…”Frederick.”
Igor: Well, why isn’t it “Froaderick Fronkensteen”?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn’t; it’s “Frederick Fronkensteen.”
Igor: I see.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
[He pronounces it ee-gor]
Igor: No, it’s pronounced “eye-gor.”
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was “ee-gor.”
Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren’t they?
Of course, the classic:
Fredo Corleone: I’m your older brother, Mike, and I was stepped over!
Michael Corleone: That’s the way Pop wanted it.
Fredo Corleone: It ain’t the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I’m smart! Not like everybody says… like dumb… I’m smart and I want respect!
Finally, who will ever forget?
Tony D'Annunzio: Another Rob Roy, Bishop?
Bishop: You never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink, because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.
Judge Smails: Wrong, you're drinking too much your Excellency.
Bishop: Excellency, fiddlesticks, my name's Fred and I'm a man, same as you.
Judge Smails: You're not a man, you're a bishop, for God's sakes.
Bishop: There is no God...