Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Taking on the K-Man


Me and a few hundred of former Assembly Speaker John Gard's closest friends received this note today:
Green Bay - Former-state representative John Gard issued the following statement about his potential run for the 8th Congressional District seat currently being held by Steve Kagen:

"Today, I've taken the first steps towards gathering the resources I'll need to run a winning campaign to represent the 8th Congressional District in the United States House of Representatives. I believe the people of Northeast Wisconsin deserve a congressman who will look out for the best interests of our hard-working families and fight for our Wisconsin values.

"Steve Kagen and I have some very real differences on some of the most important issues facing our country.

"Since his election to Congress, Steve Kagen voted for a budget that would pave the way for the largest tax increases in American history. I believe families are seeing too much of their paychecks taken up in taxes. I would have voted differently.

"Steve Kagen voted to spend Social Security dollars on other government programs. I believe Social Security dollars should be spent on Social Security only. I would have voted differently.

"Steve Kagen voted against fully funding the construction of a fence to guard our borders, and he voted to allow illegal immigrants to have access to federal housing assistance funds. I believe we should stop rewarding illegal behavior and start protecting our borders - immediately. I would have voted differently.

"I think it is also telling that 75% of Steve Kagen's campaign contributions are from Washington, D.C. special interest groups. It certainly shows where the bulk of Congressman Kagen's support lies.

"I'll make a final decision later this year, but Cate and I are looking forward to traveling Northeast Wisconsin to talk about how we can build a better and brighter future for all of our families."
I'm guessing Gard has already made up his mind about running. Kagen would've voted differently.

Find classic movies at Amazon.com