Wednesday, May 09, 2007

When children should be seen and not heard

Or, for that matter, read. Like when a child sends an e-mail to the local radio station:
My name is __________ and I am a Junior at Waukesha South High School, Waukesha Wisconsin. I am in the Student Advocacy Group there. As you may have seen in the Freeman or at least herd about, due to budget reductions in our School District many of our activites are in jepordy for the future. Our states school funding formula needs to be changed. These budget cuts have taking away our 5th and 6th grade music progarms, and have cut 62 teacher alone this year. Next year on the chopping block are all extra cirricular activites. This is not only happening in our districts. I was wondering if perhaphs I can get in contact with whoever runs the shows there, and possible get this word out to the public. I know that a great deal of people listens to your radio station and this would really help spread the word. My email is savewaukeshaschools@yahoo.com

if you could get back to me that would be great!"
Spring City Chronicle had a few words to say about the kids who would raise taxes:
No high school student has any concept of what it’s like to own a home and pay property taxes. ABC and the teachers union should be ashamed of themselves for using these kids.
Quite frankly, and I'm not bragging when I say this, I've done more to illuminate the situation in Madison with my columns than any Project ABC forum could. Unfortunately, as the e-mail to WTMJ shows, I don't think the kids are capable of reading them.