Monday, May 28, 2007

I still don't get it

Customer: "When they come to get me, Rick, I hope you'll be more of a help."
Rick: "I stick my neck out nobody."

WisOpinion.com has posted the audio from Jessica McBride's mock interview with Eugene Kane. I gotta say, I liked the intro. The "interview" itself starts at 5 minutes in, and McBride starts with two questions about Scott Huggins, the Waukesha man who was killed at a gas station on Milwaukee's northwest side. (She forgot to ask the chicken what he thought of Huggins' family calling for legal concealed-carry.) Then she asked Kane if, in the aftermath of the young girl getting killed, he believes the city is in crisis. This was followed by a question on what solutions Kane might have.

Having heard the audio, the only people who should've been offended are those who don't own a Chicken Dance Elmo.

I'm wondering why nobody was offended by the Huggins references. Is it because white male suburbanites aren't important? Or is it because the death of a four-year-old African American girl forces liberals to face some uncomfortable truths about the city they have created, and that's why some of them were offended?

Mark Belling on his television show yesterday claimed that McBride was let go in part because of WTMJ-AM focus group research on "conservative" programming. I'm reminded what focus groups thought of Seinfeld: Jerry Seinfeld's life was too boring and that they should have dropped the back up cast. I'm not sure of the efficacy of focus groups when looking at the niche market segment of talk radio.

What has been clear is that WTMJ-AM ticked off a portion of it's core audience by it's handling of the McBride situation. Hoepfully the next time one of the station's on-air personalities gets criticized in the newspaper, station management doesn't shake itself apart like a spilled bowl of jello.

Meanwhile, Tom McMahon remembers a previous night-time host. Funny, I just mentioned him the other day.

Find classic movies at Amazon.com