Thursday, March 22, 2007

Is it still a sin, Father?

The lovely Doreen from Waukesha comes from a good Catholic family, unlike the tree-worshipping heathens who raised me. Her mom is a devout Catholic and good influence on her children. (I'll let you decide whether or not I'm a good influence on one of her children.) Anyways, Doreen's mom still abstains from meat on Fridays during Lent and makes Doreen's dad abstain as well, even though they are both past the age when it is required.

But I've really been taking some time to learn something about carbon offsets and how former Vice President Al Gore, even though he personally uses enough energy to power every distillery in Tennessee, has a carbon neutral rating because of all the offsets he purchases.

Now I've seen it written that buying a carbon offset is like buying an Indulgence from the Catholic Church. And if it is, I've got that covered, too. But here's the real question.

If Doreen's mom is obeying the fast when she doesn't have to, can I use that as an offset for the occasional double-cheeseburger on Friday?

Find conservative books at Amazon.com