Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Banning Christmas on WRIT FM

Some interesting correspondence:
From: "James Wigderson"
Subject: Christmas music
To: jefflynn@clearchannel.com

I was wondering if you have any plans to revise your playlist to include any religious Christmas music. It seems silly to be playing Christmas Carols while
avoiding the reason for Christmas. You might as well be playing your normal playlist.

James Wigderson
Wigderson Library & Pub
http://wigdersonlibrarypub.blogspot.com/


Mr. Lynn's response blames "the competition."
I guess I am curious how Christmas music, honoring a religious holiday
avoids Christmas. Don't believe everything you hear on our competitors.

My Response
How about, because the songs you're playing having nothing to do with the birth of Christ? And I didn't get it from your competitors. Professor John McAdams of Marquette University did an extended sampling of the music you're playing. See here:
http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2005/11/religious-christmas-songs-banned-on.html
and here:
http://mu-warrior.blogspot.com/2005/11/more-religious-christmas-songs-banned.html

Perhaps the difference between "Frosty the Snowman" and "Silent Night" escapes you.

Lynn:
CHRISTMAS songs... Have nothing to do with the birth of Christ?
Christmas songs? What are they about then? Is there something else that
Christmas stands for other than the birth of Christ? Please note the
line in Professor McAdams blog that say "we are left to speculate." His
speculation is unfounded and incorrect.

My response:
Actually there's a whole secularization of Christmas
going on.
McAdams "speculation" was to your motive, not the
results.
And please answer the question, will you play any
religious Christmas music or not?

Lynn's response:
We are. That is what disturbs me so much about this whole thing.

Perhaps I errored by not responding to The Professor but in his messages he seemed to have an agenda and it seemed like any debate with him was futile. Just moments ago I heard Kenny Rogers singing, "Away in a Manger". I think that is a religious song. Yes, we are and will continue to.

By the way I appreciate you giving me a chance to respond without
resorting to name calling and threats, which believe it or not I have
had several this morning.

Jeff


Since my last e-mail I've noticed WRIT has played "Away in the Manger" by Kenny Rogers. Here's the last ten songs:
Here Comes Santa Claus
Gene Autry

Merry Christmas Darling
Carpenters

Someday at Christmas
Stevie Wonder

Santa Evita
Madonna

Winter Wonderland
Jewel

Away in a Manger
Kenny Rogers

The Christmas Song
Mel Torme

I Want A Hippopatamus For Christmas
Gayla Peevey

Frosty The Snowman
Jackson 5

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Pretenders

I think we start criticizing him next for playing really, really bad Christmas music.