Saturday, March 12, 2005

But he's such a nice man

It's the story of the tortoise discovering his inner hare. Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett may not be moving too quickly to solve Milwaukee's election problems or the high property taxes, but he does know how to motor. Greg Borowski of the Journal Sentinel broke the story of this speed demon terorizing Waukesha County, caught driving 83 miles per hour:
Barrett had left for Madison at about 5:15 p.m. for a dinner in honor of a friend and, while there, to deliver to another friend some Girl Scout cookies, sold by his daughter, Annie.

Wait! Where's the drugs? The booze? The state car? The hooker? Whaddya mean Girl Scout Cookies? Was he at least high on the coconut from the Samoas®/Caramel deLites™?
Lt. Ted Meagher of the State Patrol said the trooper who issued the ticket told his superiors that Barrett was cooperative. He said the trooper wasn't sure who Barrett was.

"He said something like, 'The name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it,' " said Meagher. "(Barrett) said, 'I'm the mayor of Milwaukee.' He was very cordial."
Arrgh. Where's the damn scandal? Of course, Barrett must be protesting the ticket, right?
"He will pay the fine," [Barrett spokeswoman Carlene] Orig said. "He said it was the most expensive Girl Scout cookies he ever had to deliver."
C'mon! Give us something scandalous! Anything! I hate responsible politicians.

This reminds me of an incident in 1992, when Barrett first ran for US Congress. I was working for his Republican (sacrificial lamb) opponent and my candidate decided to call in "sick" right before a joint appearance in front of a group of senior citizens in Shorewood. I went there to fill in and Barrett hadn't shown up yet. After a couple of minutes of waiting the moderator asked me to start. I went into tax cuts, defence spending, yadda yadda, when Barrett burst into the room and announced, "I'm sorry I'm late, but I just came from the hospital where my wife has just given birth to little Tom, Jr." He then proceeded to pass around a Polaroid. That's right, I should've just left the room then and there.

I've had it in for that nice man ever since. It's just not fair.