Saturday, May 02, 2009

Dallas Cowboys practice facility collapses

We're following the story of the news from Irving, TX, where the practice facility collapsed today during a rookie mini-camp. The Dallas Morning News Cowboys blog is reporting twelve people were taken to the hospital.
Ten people were transported to the hospital and two more were treated as walk-ins after the Cowboys' indoor facility collapsed today, according to Irving assistant fire chief Rusty Wilson.

At least two of the injuries are considered serious. No further information was released due to privacy laws.

"Right now, I don't think we have anybody who is in a life-threatening situation," said Paul Pepe, the head of emergency medical services for Dallas County.

Sportswriter Todd Archer reported what happened to him when the facility went down:

As we attempted to get out the door when the structure buckled, we got jammed until the door gave way. I think the door structure fell on me, knocking me to the ground. It then rested on my leg. Unable to move, I yelled for help, unaware what was going on around me.

I could see feet go by and I hoped somebody would attempt to lift it up so I could squeeze through. At first Eatman, one of the staff writer's for the team's Web site, attempted to lift some piece of the door off me. He said Williams pushed him to the side and he and Smith were able to get whatever was on me off.

I rolled on to my back and crawled out as the rain - and I think hail - pounded us all. As I got up, I saw the structure I've been in hundreds of times down and started to make my way to the facility.

By the way, don't bother watching ESPN for coverage.