Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Pope and Pelosi

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's visit with Pope Benedict XVI may not have gone the way she planned.  No photo was released of the state visit, and the Associated Press reported,

A short statement from the Vatican said the pope "briefly greeted" Pelosi and did not mention any other subject they may have discussed besides abortion.

In their 15-minute meeting, the Vatican said Benedict spoke of the church's teaching "on the dignity of human life from conception to natural death." That is an expression often used by the pope when expressing opposition to abortion.

Benedict said all Catholics - especially legislators, jurists and political leaders - should work to create "a just system of laws capable of protecting human life at all stages of its development," the Vatican said.

Reminds me of a story my grandfather told me about going to confession while in the army. The next day a bishop visited the base and offered to hear my grandfather's confession. My grandfather told him it wasn't necessary as he had been to confession the day before with the chaplain. The bishop was not to be deterred and proceeded to examine my grandfather's life of sin since birth.

I'm betting that the Pope's closed-door meeting with Pelosi was just as uncomfortable for her. We can pray that some of the meeting stays with her.