Tuesday, May 06, 2008

James Wigderson and his critics

From the Waukesha Freeman (all that goodness for just fifty cents!) "Sound Off" section today:
School district finances
It was interesting to read James Wigderson’s column in the paper on Thursday. He must not have gotten the memo. The reception for Dave Schmidt was sponsored and paid for by the chamber of commerce. That was in the paper at the time of the reception.
Kind of reminds me about the pool at Waukesha South High School. The school district did not pay for that either. The district paid what it would have paid to replace the pool at South as it was. The pool was going to be replaced because it was old and inefficient. The upgrade that included more lanes etc. came from the fundraising and support of the private swim clubs that use the South pool. I repeat: The school district did not pay for the “fancy” pool. It only paid the cost of replacing the old pool. The upgrade was paid for by fundraising and private support. Too bad the public only hears what it wants to believe.

I'll leave it to the commenters to get into the pool discussion (since they brought it up, feel free). I would note that my one experience at Waukesha South was decidedly unpleasant, beyond tropical, in part because of the air circulation issues resulting from the new pool. When they fix that problem of poor planning and design, I hope the so-called "private donations" covers that as well. Otherwise I don't think I've ever talked about the pool issue, so I'm not sure why the caller wandered in that direction.

As for who paid for lunch, that was a joke about the school system credit cards and that Schmidt couldn't account for their use. I suspect most readers got the joke.

When the Waukesha Chamber of Commerce holds a luncheon in my honor, I'll try the joke again.