Saturday, February 09, 2008

Goodbye Ron Paul

ABC News received an e-mail sent to Ron Paul supporters (you know, conspiracy theorists, white supremacists, Nevada hookers, radical bicyclists) letting them know the Ron Paul revolution is basically over.
In an emailed message to supporters, Paul says, "Let me tell you my thoughts with Romney gone, the chances of a brokered convention are nearly zero." From Paul this is about as close as we can get to an admission there there is no possible way he can get the nomination.

Indeed, Paul is not ending or suspending his campaign. The fact there won't be a brokered convention, "does not affect my determination to fight on, in every caucus and primary remaining, and at the convention for our ideas, with just as many delegates as I can get," he declares.

He's just going to do it with even fewer resources than he already has. "With so many primaries and caucuses now over," writes Paul, "We do not now need so big a national campaign staff, and so I am making it leaner and tighter."

Paul also, for the umpteenth time, rules out a third party run and says he will refocus on keeping his Congressional seat. He faces a primary challenge in Texas.

"I have constituents in my home district that I must serve. I cannot and will not let them down. And I have another battle I must face here as well. If I were to lose the primary for my congressional seat, all our opponents would react with glee, and pretend it was a rejection of our ideas. I cannot and will not let that happen," he says.
(The full text of Ron Paul's message is at his campaign website.)

Congressman Ron Paul's presidential candidate website says he's raised over $5 million since the beginning of the year. Some of his supporters might want to wonder where all the money has gone. Somebody, maybe in Texas, might even suggest an investigation is in order.

In the meantime, if you want to finish driving Paul from the public stage, he does have a primary opponent.

Cue the Music:
Goodbye Ron Paul
You're leaving us today
Goodbye
Goodbye
Goodbye
Goodbye all you loonies
There's nothing you can say
To make us change
Our minds
Goodbye.